Please Join Us For:
LEFT/RIGHT/HERE: An Outdoor Art Experience
July 10, 2021 @ 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm
LEFT/ RIGHT/ HERE
An Outdoor Art Experience
Part of Recovery Justice: Being Well
July 10, 2021 | 7:30 – 9:30 PM
3026 Airport Ave, Santa Monica, 90405
Outdoor projections begin at 8 PM, at sunset. Lionel Popkin’s Six Positions on Uncertainty live performances in the Main Propeller Gallery are at 7:45 PM and 8:45 PM.
We will be allowing visitors into the gallery (masks required), and to view open studios, please register for faster check-in at the door.
Where is here? Can we be together? Can we find stability amidst uncertainty? Join artists Lionel Popkin, Marcus Kuiland-Nazario, Yrneh Gabon and Susie McKay Krieser, Lola del Fresno, Luciana Abait, Nicola Goode, Cognate Collective’s Market Exchange project, and Debra Disman in a one-night only interactive outdoor and indoor art experience as part of the exhibition Recovery Justice: Being Well.
Begin and end your experience with a special screening projected onto the Hanger and live performance of Popkin’s Six Positions on Uncertainty in the Propeller Gallery, contemplating a ritual to aid in both grounding oneself as well as working through the idea of social isolation due to the pandemic.
- View vinyl murals including Gabon and McKay Kreiser’s Oneness, One Mask, One Love, One Heart🖤; Fresno’s The innocents (save a million lives); and Abait’s Mattress from Displacement Series on the Hangar’s Glider Wall outdoor gallery.
- Check out Marcus Kuiland-Nazario’s Sea Change Lab pop-wagon project, with live performance and installation in the parking lot. ALEXANDMUSHI will be performing their Chair Conversations throughout the evening. Learn more about their performance here.
- Discover Debra Disman’s new video filmed by videographer Jeny Amaya around self-compassion and book making and see her Artists’ Book, “Unfolding Possibilities”, which incorporates words offered up by the community in response to the pandemic through her Arts Learning Lab workshop: Bookmaking with Compassion, and pick up a copy of Nicola Goode’s limited edition poster with images from Board-Ups, a project documenting storefronts of Santa Monica’s business district during the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests.
- Explore the handmade wares of artisan vendors from Cognate Collective’s Market Exchange project, and experience their crafting demonstrations. Learn more here: https://marketexchange.18thstreet.org/
- Enjoy food trucks and artist open studios throughout the night!
This is a live, in-person event. Masks will be required at all times indoors. Reservations are required.
You may choose to drive through the event, but due to the June 15 California re-opening, we will also allow visitors to park and enter inside the galleries to view the exhibition Recovery Justice: Being Well, Lionel Popkin’s live performance, and artist open studios.